158 min – Action | Adventure | Drama – 22 June 1961 (USA)
IMDB Rating: 7.6/10 from 26,067 users
Awards: Won 1 Oscar. Another 4 wins & 10 nominations
Director: J. Lee Thompson
Writers: Alistair MacLean (novel), Carl Foreman (Screenplay)
A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement that commands a key sea channel.
Watch this exciting trailer:
- Gregory Peck: Capt. Keith Mallory
- David Niven: Cpl. John Anthony Miller
- Anthony Quinn: Col. Andrea Stavrou
- Stanley Baker: Pvt. Casey ‘Butcher’ Brown
- Anthony Quayle: Maj. Roy Franklin
- James Darren: Pvt. Spyros Pappadimos
- Peter Grant : British Commando
- Irene Papas: Maria Pappadimos
- Gia Scala: Anna
- James Robertson Justice: Commodore James Jensen
- Richard Harris: Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby, Royal Australian Air Force
1943. With the battle of Stalingrad turning the war against them, the Germans are attempting to bully neutral Turkey into joining the Axis; to this end they have trapped 2,000 British soldiers on Kiros, an island in the Aegean, with only one sea route for evacuation, a sea route commanded by two gigantic German antiship batteries deployed in a massive cliffside bunker on the island of Navarone.
Immune to air attack and too much for Allied battleships to suppress, the British muster Keith Mallory, a commando officer who has been working on occupied Crete for nearly two years and who is an expert mountaineer, to ferry a team of British commandos to the only area of Navarone that is not monitored by the Germans, a 400-foot cliff.
Greek resistance is to meet the team inland and guide them around German patrols to the area of the German guns. However, the commanding officer of the British team suffers grave injury in the climb and Mallory must take control of the mission, despite clashes with explosives expert John Anthony Miller, who upon the arrival of the night of the raid finds his equipment has been sabotaged, thus exposing a traitor in the team’s ranks.
- Truly Great Films: The Guns of Navarone (thepicturepundit.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Night Cinema: The Guns of Navarone (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Gregory Peck (awaisarslan85.wordpress.com)